Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mothers Day

Working with Hannah’s Prayer ministries has opened my eyes up to so much (and I hope it has opened my heart as well). Mother’s day for many is feared, and it’s seems so easy for us to judge, calling it a lack of faith or to generically announce that we need to “rejoice with those who rejoice”. Which we do, but the completion of that verse states that we also need to “mourn with those who mourn”.

Yesterday I couldn’t help but think how many women in my city were sitting in church services cringing inside at the ritualistic “mom” ceremonies. The couple who has just received news that their 3rd and final IVF attempt had failed. The women who last week experienced her 5th miscarriage (silently, at that – because after the first few she stopped telling people about them). The daughter who tragically lost her mom this past year. Lori Coble who buried her 3 children on Saturday after a car accident on I-5 took their lives.

For these women, mothers’ day is nothing more then a reminder of what’s been ripped away from them. This year, more then any other, my heart has been sad for them (and for us). You just never know what someone is going through!

If one can step away from the pain, Mothers Day can be a day honoring of all women (and if we’re following Titus 2, we should all be influences in the lives of the young). My pastor’s wife stated tonight that “Nothing can be accomplished without estrogen!” How true! (and funny!). Women do so much for their families, their communities, and their country. We have such opportunity for impact! And we need to do our part in honoring them & rejoicing with them! Some moms never get a day (or hour) off - what a great day for spoiling!

On the home front, Andrew got me the sweetest mother’s day card, and my boys took me out to breakfast. We made a special visit to the cemetery & then I got to spend the day shopping. It ended with Butterfinger ice cream – a girl’s day is always complete after some ice cream! :)

Lamentations 3:22-23 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.



2 comments:

  1. I was cringing & thinking of 'other's' as well.....as I was also one of those spending the day @ the cemetary....w/ VERY mixed emotions as I was there w/ my children, missing my own mother, as this is my first MD w/o her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This mother's day was bittersweet, I thought so much about everyone who was hurting, praying throughout the day, so thankful my uncle who is a shepherd led in an opening prayer that prayed for all those who were hurting, and the sermon was also about those who were hurting. And after the service I also went to the cemetary, to talk and cry and miss.

    Thinking still all of you.

    ReplyDelete