Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pizza or Kale?


So, I was running my butt off on the treadmill thinking about what sort of salad we would be having for dinner that night (Kale, anyone?) when up pops a commercial for pizza. You can’t show pizza commercials at the gym!!! It took all I had to not call Poppa Johns that night - I don't even really like pizza. And just when you don’t think it can get worse …

It does. Another day, another week, after who knows how many miles of sweat and panting and sore knees, the treadmill and I are starting to decide we don’t like one another very well, when on the screen comes a Sonic commercial. For ice cream. Are you kidding me???? I would have given anything for that ice cream in that moment. But instead, I keep running, eyeing the clock, willing it to quickly hit that glorious 30 minute mark. I look around and wonder if it’s just me that this effects? Jason has b-ball on in front of him and he’s happily running away. Ah – but over to my left there’s a post-preggo mom trying to lose the baby weight. She sees the ice cream. She understands.

Grumbling aside, I can’t tell you how good it feels to be back to regularly working out (walking the dog around the block wasn’t quite cutting it). We’ve stuck to our healthy eating for 2 years or more now and being at the gym 3 or 4 days a week, if even for only a hour does wonders for ones soul. We’re not on some super plan to lose the pounds (in fact I’d like to gain a few), rather we’re just striving to be HEALTHY. To have energy and feel good and yes, look good. It’s hard work, but it’s worth it. We’re trying to take good care of the “temples” God has given us! Aside from that working out together has been a lot of fun!

3 comments:

  1. WELL I AM IMPRESSED. I WOULD NOT LAST 30 MINUTES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. robin9:47 AM

    Run, Traci, Run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you RUN? I am excited when I find other runners cause I just started 'running' (aka pathetically jogging) in Jan....there's a 5k (3.1 miles)run on Sept. 2nd @ DISNEYLAND...wanna join me? :D

    ReplyDelete