Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Funerals.


They suck.


Jason had the honor of being able to further serve the family by being a pallbearer. Have I mentioned that I am proud of my husband?














I was reading (Velvet Elvis, Rob Bell) about peace the other day. It struck me and then stuck with me, and I thought now would be an appropriate time to share.

In Luke a woman approaches Jesus for healing. She's had an illness for 12 years. When she gets close to Jesus she grabs his cloak and asks him to heal her.

She is healed and Jesus tells her to "go in peace".

The word Jesus would have used for peace is the Hebrew word shalom. Shalom is an important word in the Bible.

For many of us, we understand peace to be the absence of conflict. But the Hebraic understanding of shalom is far more than just the absence of conflict or strife.

Shalom is the presence of the goodness of God.

It's the presence of wholeness, completeness.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading that book too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete