Thursday, July 17, 2008

Free Fun!

How to plan a little weekend fun when your weekly budget has already been a bit overused?

Homemade Play dough!


It doesn't have the yummy play dough smell, but it was free & will give us some fun stuff to do @ home this weekend. I only had blue & yellow food coloring on hand, thus the colors you see above - works for me! I thought about doing the green a bit darker, but well ... I am tired. And my forearms hurt. I realize that a tub of play dough isn't all that expensive, but a trip to the toy aisle can be!


2 cups flour
2 cups water
1 cup salt
2 Tbsp cooking oil
4 tsp cream of tarter
liquid food coloring

1. Mix ingredients in heavy pan
2. Cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly
3. Remove from heat, but continue to stir until dough gets stiff
4. Cool on waxed paper
5. Add food coloring

Lifespan: several weeks, stored in sealed plastic bags in refrigerator.

7 comments:

  1. those are nice colors - all of our playdoh ends up being brown - it's the universal color of playdoh once used

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious - we posted the same topic - homemade playdough...and both commented on how it's only missing the smell! BTW - I love your blog header - adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVE playdoh!! Homemade is even better than store bought.. well, becuase it is homemade! ;-) Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add a package of kool-aid powder! It'll smell good enough to eat :p!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those colors! You are so cool. I have never attempted to make homemade playdough.

    Well, I did make it once...and it got lost and got mold on it.

    Also, get the Wii Fit. You would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kool-aid tip - I'm all over that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like fun...will have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete