Monday, October 20, 2008

Construction Party

Saturday was an amazing day for us. I’d love to shower you with birthday boy photos, but #1) the hostess was having too much fun to snap photos and #2) we’re not going to share the birthday boy with you. So, I thought I’d instead share some ideas that inspired me. I sort of thrive on craftiness and parities, so planning this little guy’s bash was an utter blast for me! {Is it just me or did that statement pop an image of a cow in your mind?}

Jason and I decided on a construction theme several months ago. It just seemed fun, and I love themes. Too bad 14 year old boys don’t want themed parties {I told Drew I’d make him an IPod cake!}. Our desire was to have a more intimate party and only invite close family & friends. We had about 50 people.

Our invites: {super cheap, total out of pocket was $4, only needed to buy the wooden slates.}



The “giftbags”:

These were canvas aprons from Oriental Trading. I personalized them – it was super easy. We filled them with inflatable hammers {which were a hit}, a construction sticker sheet, Tonka coloring pages {I just photocopied some pages from a book we already had}, crayons in a travel pack {which my very talented mom made for each child, see photos below}, a pack of tool gummies, a granola bar and a fruit stick. Each child also got a hard hat {ALL of the construction stuff, I got from Oriental Trading}.



This was the birthday boy’s cake:
My BFF {lol} found this cake in a magazine and determined we had to make it. So we did. It was really good too! {btw, cake making, so not on my list of fun skills}

This was everyone else’s “cake”:
Brownies in the back of a new dump truck {also the gift from big brother}. I made these little signs, they were super easy. Just, ah, watch for gusts of wind when displaying truck.

Our veggie tray:
There’s ice under the tray. It turned out to be the perfect size tray too.

Chips and salsa:
Super cute, but my warning with this is Jx2 decided he wanted to play with the truck at some point and instead gave himself a salsa shower. Good thing the boy likes salsa.

The giveaways:
We ordered these rubber duckies and attached this poem about a construction worker having a long day & needing a bath to relax. This idea I got off of another blogger, but for the life of me I can’t find the link to the blog to give her credit. My apologies, and if anyone has seen the idea elsewhere I’d love to give credit where credit is due!

For the tables we just used brown table clothes and cones for the center pieces. We used caution tape to mark off the area of the park we were at, and I made construction signs out of orange paper to lead the way to our site, and also to put on some trees, etc. We made the birthday boy a shirt w/ a big ol’ 3 on it.

On a more personal note, we want to mention how overwhelmed we are with the support and love that occurred on Saturday. Jx2 was SO blessed with friends and love and presents {oh my, the presents!}. You sort of expect that for your children, but here’s a boy who’s only been with us for 6 ½ months, and we’re not even sure we’re going to be able to adopt him … yet we were surrounded by people who genuinely love us and him and gave of their time and money. It’s easy for us to accept this little boy into our hearts and our lives, as we believe God prepared us for him … but it was overwhelming to watch as others did the same. It was so sweet to watch the laughter and hugs and to read the words written in birthday cards. Our guy has such a passion and love for life and I think he draws people in. One of my best moments of the day {maybe my year} was to be in the bouncer {it’s for big kids too, ya know} with my very best friends and our kids, all of us laughing and bouncing. I was just overwhelmed by the joy of the day and the people we love. A blog post is no way to say thank you, but THANK YOU.

Jason called home Saturday morning {from the park, he got there early} and said over speaker phone “Happy Birthday Jx2!” and the response: “Happy Birthday Daddy!”. We had to teach him to just say “Thank you”. :)

Happy Birthday, baby boy.




This post was featured in Kelly Korners "Birthday Party" linkies, 7/17/09.

9 comments:

  1. Your post needs a tissue warning! Happy Birthday to your big guy and big hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you've got to me the most creative bday celebration planner, ever! Way to go...I'm sure he loved every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super duper party!!
    JDB, Jen HP

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Zoo had so much fun! You guys are so creative. Every little detail was awesome yet nothing was overboard. Simply perfect. And,yes, Jx2's joy is contagious. He makes everyone around him smile. :-) What a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome post and awesome party (I came over from Brandi's page again) You did a wonderful job on the party and I am sure Jx2 had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. soooooooo creative!

    I ran across your blog from a Donald Miller search, and your words inspire me. Great Blog!

    -Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool party!!! Would have loved to have been there with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:51 AM

    I have been a Guardian ad Litem (CASA) attorney for eight years. I started reading this post because I have a little boy who loves trucks/construction equipment and is about to turn three. When I got to the end of the post and realized that this party was for a foster child, I started to cry. Those of us who work in this business hope and pray for people to love these children as their own. Thank you for being those people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you! This boy is 8 1/2 now and yesterday we celebrated the 5 year anniversary of his "adoption day". :) We are currently fostering his bio bro (who is 10 mo. old right now) ... trying to plan his first birthday ... thinking Dr. Seuss! Thank you for the work you've done for foster children!!

      Delete