Wednesday, October 01, 2008

“Uh – ya know anything about a Potty Scotty doll?”

He hates the big boy potty. He does. Not that I particularly blame him b/c it’s not the most pleasant thing in the world. But he’ll be 3 soon and well, I don’t have anything that really fits this sentence other then he’ll be 3 soon. I think I regressed him {I admit it!}. When he was first placed with us {@ 29 months} he was more open to talking about the potty. Thing is I was new to him and he to us and I quickly realized he would say he had to go to the potty every single time he was doing something he didn’t want to be doing {like eating, going to bed, sitting in time out, etc.} thus I nixed it. I think I even once said aloud “just go in your diaper” {gasp! I know, I know … }. Thing is my sanity was more important then changing a dirty diaper at the time {and if you’ve read anything about placements they tell you to allow time for adjustment before change, and that sounded pretty logical}.

We’ve spent the last 6 months talking about the potty. Even using it a few times {which you’ve read about b/c they’ve been momentous moments of life}. But generally, he hates it. In fact, I think his new favorite saying is “NO big boy potty. I WON’T GO!” {that and “sing ashes again, mommy” – which translates to “can we please sing Ring Around the Rosy again my wonderful mommy, even though the song is about war and dead people”}. He doesn’t care one bit that his Thomas the Choo-Choo undies are wet or that he just peed on the hard wood floor in his bedroom right after spending 7.5 minutes sitting on the toilet. He doesn’t want to aim for Cheerios and he doesn’t care how daddy and brother go potty. The toilet is not his friend.

So, my marvelous, amazing husband popped into the living room one afternoon a few weeks back full of enthusiasm. He had one of his manly-man magazines in hand and a light bulb going off in his head. I knew he meant business. Apparently manly-man magazines talk about potty training now-a-days, and my hubs was certain our solution had miraculously fallen into our laps via the August edition of Men’s Health. He proudly proclaimed “We need to buy him a baby doll”.

Of course we do. Because that makes perfect sense.

Yesterday a friend mentions that she potty trained her {uh hum … } 19 month old in one day. One day, mind you. And she used a baby doll she bought online. And I’ll just take this opportunity to point out that it’s apparently way easier to potty train girls then boys - I'm just sayin'!. One day, hmmm? I know that it’s not going to happen until he’s ready, and I’m prepared to wait, but I think he might be ready and I’d like to get over the overwhelming hatred of toilets. That and I’m trying to cut diapers out of our monthly budget over the next few months. And while I am supposed to be saving every penny for things like unknown futures, I decided it might be time to research this baby doll who-ha.

Which brings us to the title of the post. I think I decided to hope that Potty Scotty can be the hero of our home in this potty training game. I ebay’d him ya’ll {on my brother’s ebay account, which led to a phone call that went like this: Him: “Uh – I got an email saying I bid on something called Potty Scotty. Know anything about it” {being the ever so smart guy he is, he called me prior to proclaiming fraud on his Ebay account. Why I am using his account is a whole different story} Me: “It’s a baby doll that pees in the potty” Him: “Alrighty”}

So, my ever compassionate friends, should we win above said peeing baby doll I will be sure to fill you in on all of the details of our adventure and hopefully will be able to tell you the little guy works wonders.

Oh, and btw, my husband was right. I was wrong for thinking him & manly-man magazine were crazy. Sigh ...

5 comments:

  1. I am laughing SO hard right now. I have no idea if Potty Scotty works or not. But, you should really just buy it for the story - I mean, Potty Scotty would be a GREAT party favor IMO!! ou must have a great brother for that matter.

    Girl, you crack me up. Sorry, no advice, but thanks for the pre-7 a.m. laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melisa Whitecotton10:13 AM

    Please let us know if this works, I would love to stop buying diapers, Jesse will be 2 October 13, so I thinks it's time we start trying to train! Can't wait to see if it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of Potty Scotty! LOL - that's hilarious though. I am interested to see if it actaully works for you! So far so good on this end - I put her in undies and that's all....and apparently that's all she needed: NO excuses to potty in a pull-up anymore. Seriously....if I only knew a year ago what would have worked! Potty training is the pits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no clue but I agree - it's totally great blog fodder :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been tagged!
    Check out my blog for details!

    ReplyDelete