Thursday, December 04, 2008

Candy Garland

Several years ago we were at a craft fair {Sugarplum festival} and we saw this garland for sale. We loved it, but decided we could make it ourselves and left without the purchase. I am pretty certain my parents made us this set, and then my girlfriend and I made a set for her house.

You need:
:: plastic take-out sort of boxes like these {shop Smart & Final or Sams, etc.}
:: strands of white Christmas lights
:: colored cellophane {we used green and red only}
:: twisty ties

Directions:
:: open the lids on the food boxes and run the lights in them, closing the lids
:: wrap each box in a different color of cellophane
:: twisty tie each side of the box to create a candy look & hide the cords

Easy, but time consuming! The photo above shows the garland draped on some hedges in the front of our house. We get a TON of compliments on it every year. It’s something different and festive!



For more homemade Christmas ideas, visit Simply Vintage Girl.

8 comments:

  1. you lost me at the twisty ties - how do you do that to a square box??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrap the box in the cellaphone, like you would a gift, except you don't tape the sides, only the top. You gather the sides around the edges of the boxes and put a twistie tie around the cord, so it look's like a candy. Does that makes sense? Come on over and I'll show you! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really cool!

    Thanks for the nice comment - and for praying. I haven't quit crying yet tonight. I just hate that it happened like that. I can't stop thinking "what if" either...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, you need to come over and teach me your creative ways, Traci. ;-) I need a tutor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sooooo cute! i am totally going to do this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:13 AM

    The plastic wont melt right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have used them for years and have had no melting. They've withstood rain and wind as well.

      Delete