Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas open house: part one {a homemade Christmas}



I’m doing a theme for this post, my lovely peeps. And my theme is FREE {homemade sounds better, doesn't it?}! Given the state of our toilet flushing economy we opted to not spend any money on new Christmas decorations this year. Sad, I know! Although, seeing as how some people have NO decorations and we have boxes and boxes from years prior, I found it pretty reasonable. Also, we decorated completely different then we usually do. Our focus is different this year and we love it. Granted our whole house is the size of some of your all’s bathrooms, so the task wasn’t all that difficult. Here are my favorites:

It’s a pumpkin. Recycled. Christmas style. When the husband was cleaning up fall decorations he yelled over “I’m not throwing this out, am I?” {in reference to the pumpkin} … it was a bit sarcastic, mixed with a bit knowing his wife all too well. And it was followed by “You’re going to spray paint it red or green or something, huh?” Ah, he knows me indeed. Spray paint is our friend.


Our stockings. Since we have a new little guy, I thought we could get new stockings. So awhile back Jason and I picked out some fabric at the craft store {and technically these weren’t free b/c I did have to pay for the fabric}. If you know me well, you know that sewing projects don’t typically get made in a timely manner around here, but I was a bit excited about the stockings. The M & D stands for mom and dad {our solution to two of the same initial}.

Our porch. Awhile ago I came across this vinyl wall sticker which I got for free from my friend Kristi. I thought it exclaimed a great Christmas sentiment, so I pulled it out and put it up. Only bummer is that I don’t think I can reuse it next year once I pull it off after the season.

A new nativity. I was sent this wooden nativity cut out from a very talented blogger. I painted {& will probably sand it for an aged look}, and LOVE the simplicity of it.

In general we wanted this year to have less trinkets, less busyness and just represent a warmth, cozy glow of the season with lights and candles and beauty. {the boxes of trinkets remain in the garage} I love snuggling up in our living room @ night, or having quiet time in the morning. I wish Christmas decorations could stay up all year long!

I'll be sharing our tree and another homemade thing tomorrow for Kimba's open house!

Thanks for stopping by!

View part two here.

14 comments:

  1. I love the pumpkin.

    Last year I recycled my pumpkin. Rudolf the red nosed pumpkin.

    http://jennwa.blogspot.com/2007/12/rudolf-red-nosed-pumpkin.html

    Merry Christmas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be one of my soul sisters! I'm constantly reinventing things to use, never throw away, especially when any amount of spray paint is in the garage! :) And on the note of the vinyl wall stickie.. girl, just remove it gently and lay it on wax paper. Roll it up and use it next year! We are a military family and I pay good money for my vinyl! I can't leave it when we move! :) Thanks for the tour and stop in sometime over at our blog. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Simplicity. That's what I've been striving for. Snuggling up to what matters because it matters. CHOOSING to not worry or fret, CHOOSING to simplify and glorify. So glad to know there are others out there on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love he nativity silhouette! And a Christmas pumpkin? How fun!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the stockings! We need new ones too, but with a 6 wk old I just didn't get to it yet this year! Hopefully next year! Have fun.
    www.fabricgarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cute stockings! and the idea for the pumpkin- If it is still good after the holidays you can recycle it further by peeling off skin with a knife and baking or boiling the meat for pumpkin pies or to use in baking- it is so much better than canned!!

    blessings
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. This may not work, but you could hang a picture or poster over the Believe word on the wall and remove the picture next year at Christmas. Great job of decorating with your freebies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your decorations are so beautiful and creative. I love them! And I think your blog is lovely.

    I didn't buy anything new this year either, and it was hard. But it makes me even more excited to decorate all over again next year!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the silhouette of the cut out nativity!!! Very striking.

    Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing the season with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the pumpkin and I love the stockings! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute pumpkin...adorable stockings. Thanks for inviting us into your lovely home. Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just read your 100 story...how beautiful. I hope you have time to visit our blog. We lost twin daughters and a newborn son over the course of our journey from ashes to beauty. Our story link is found in the sidebar. And the post, He Came, also shares a little of our own familiy's journey. You can also visit our website: www.sufficientgrace.net for more information on the ministry God has given us to offer comfort and hope to bereaved parents. Praying God's continued comfort and blessings to you and your beautiful family...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your stockings and your pumpkin is very cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Traci,

    Thank you for commiting on my blog. I just wanted to let you know that we adopted our dachshund Rudi 3 years ago from a Dachshund Rescue Shelter. (Oh was he terribily ill!) I was never one to understand why people treated their dogs like kids~until Rudi. He is the sweetest dog.
    Go to PetFinder.com and plug in your info and they will hook you up with a shelter in your area.

    ReplyDelete