Sunday, December 07, 2008

Motivate Me Monday {Legalism}


1.This week I just want to share something directly from my study. Isaiah 29:12 says “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men”.

God does not take our spiritual temperature under the tongue by the words we say, nor in our ear by the impressive teachings we hear, nor under our arms by the service and duties we perform. God takes our spiritual temperature straight from the heart. – Beth Moore.

It’s always been a joke between Jason and I that I am legalist. I tease about it a lot. I am a very black and white person, right or wrong, a ‘do it with all you have or don’t do it all’ soul. While that’s not necessarily a bad thing, I’ve been pondering this week on if that attitude can be hindering me. Overall I think I go out of my way to NOT judge other people {to the point of fault at times, per my husband}, but I am a huge judge of myself. I want certain things done correctly and done well. I am okay with a {semi} messy house and in fact, I sent our Christmas letter out with a typo fully aware that it’s there {that’s self-discipline at its finest people! And you’re all looking for it now, aren’t you?} . But I like lists and rules and little boxes to check off and calendars and plans. That’s typically how our family works. Again, not necessarily bad things. I’ve just been feeling that I need to make sure all of that, and the judgments I have of myself when things are not done to MY “standards” are not seriously cheating me out of truly enjoying God’s presence. It’s not something I see as a huge issue; just something I’m realizing might not be such a joke anymore. I love how God brings these things to light. He see’s us and says “You think you’ve got that covered? Well let me show you this little piece of yourself you didn’t know about. Let me show you this loophole. Let me show you how much more of ME you can have”. Very cool.

2.My tip would be to not give up. Again, I am so not a morning person. And I am doing this – therefore you can too! If you have a late night, plan a nap for the next day and still wake early. The time is priceless. It’s amazing. When we started this group, someone shared this quote and it’s since been sitting on my nightstand, right next to the alarm clock: “Self control is like a wall of protection surrounding us, dramatically reducing our vulnerability to the enemy”.

**For more Motivate Me Monday's visit Like A Warm Cup of Coffee.

9 comments:

  1. What an insightful post! I have struggled with a judgmental spirit, but the Lord is really teaching me two things that are very clear in His word: don't judge others, love others...and then somehow balance being able to reprove by speaking truth in love!

    That verse is a great one! I need to write it out big and post it EVERYWHERE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making my way from Sarah Mae's...

    This is a great post. I admit to falling into the same kind of judgmental spirit. I couldn't agree with you more when you said that when God brings this things to light in our lives, it's just so that we can have MORE of Him. I love that! More of Him is what I want!

    Thanks for sharing! This time for me has been absolutely priceless too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so timely for me. I actually posted about something similar this morning, but you said it so much better. Perfect lesson and thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so great! thank you for sharing - i think a lot of struggle with that need for neat little check boxes - love the verse, too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your heart. I posted in a very similar way this morning - straight from my journal. I think judging others is something that many women struggle with. I also love the verse - what an eye opener!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This SO hit home for me. This is something that I have been trying to work on over the last few months as well. Loved hearing your thoughts on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning... I am a list person too and I am very hard on myself... so I totally relate to this post. Thank you for sharing. The verse is great. I LOVE God's Word!!

    Hugs,
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was really good...thank you for sharing. The part that struck me most was:
    "You think you’ve got that covered? Well let me show you this little piece of yourself you didn’t know about. Let me show you this loophole. Let me show you how much more of ME you can have”.

    Very good stuff! Thank you for the encouragement to get up early...it is soo needed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so familiar to me as I am a list maker, calendar toting, planner. I like things organized and simply. It is hard for me when I do not live up to a certain standard but do not hold others up to that standard.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete