Sunday, January 04, 2009

Motivate Me Monday {Living with Intention}

I’ll admit that the holidays have put a damper on my day to day early rising. Over Christmas there was a 3 day period where my family did not remove ourselves from our jammies at all. And for New Years, we had a bit of the same; my girlfriend and I even doing annual 75% off Christmas stuff shopping* fully clad in fuzzy PJ bottoms. I think God delights in those times, as He does the word vacation!

What I’ve been seeking the most over the last 2 weeks is the idea of a New Years resolution. The mornings I have risen early I’ve sat quietly with my beautiful Christmas tree* and asked God to reveal to me what 2009 needs from me. In the end I decided to choose a word that I wanted to use to convey my goal for day to day living. My word is intentional.

I want to strive this year to be intentional in the things that I do. I want to be present, rather then distracted. I want to enjoy, rather then watch. I want to trust, rather then worry. I want to make the memories, rather then fuss over the mess. I want to be intentional in parenting my children, rather then just getting through the day; I want to mold them and teach them about our Father, rather then passing them off. I want to learn more and more about my First Love, rather then just merely attend a Sunday service. I want my life to represent my words, the words I say and the words I type here. I don’t want to preach it unless my character is truly reflecting it, or attempting to anyway. I want to water relationships and serve others. But I can only do any of that with planning and prayer and following through. I don’t want to walk through life just riding the waves as they come. I want to create the waves; rather I want to be open to allowing HIM to create waves in me.

A good start with all of this is waking early for my bible studies. In fact, I think the change I’ve seen in myself and even my husband since morning bible time has prompted the word for the year. I want to BE intentional. I want to SEE what is scared.

“Over the margins of life comes a whisper, a faint call, a premonition of richer living which we know we are passing by. Strained by the very mad pace of our daily outer burdens, we are further strained by an inward uneasiness, because we have hints that there is a way of life vastly richer and deeper than all of this hurried existence, a life of unhurried serenity and peace and power.“ Thomas Kelly, A Testament of Devotion

*p/s - I totally scored a beautiful, amazing fake Christmas tree for the same price I paid for this year's real tree. It's called a future family investment, people!

** For more Motivate Me Mondays visit Like A Warm Cup of Coffee

9 comments:

  1. Good morning Traci! What a beautiful post!

    I am so with you on it, especially when it comes to being intentional with our kiddos and being authentic in who we are - living how we "preach."

    Have a WONDERFUL "wave making" day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was dropping by from Sarah Mae's blog. I really enjoyed you post today... it has given me much to think about. This is one reason why I love blogging because of being able to meet all these wonderful, inspiring, and women who are passionately pursuing Jesus - just like yourself!

    I REALLY enjoyed your post also about the 100 things you shared about your family... SO inspiring!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing post. Thank you for sharing your words and thoughts.

    I pray to be present in all I do and not distracted and will say a prayer for you too.

    Blessings!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing post. Thank you for sharing your words and thoughts.

    I pray to be present in all I do and not distracted and will say a prayer for you too.

    Blessings!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. An amazing post. Thank you for sharing your words and thoughts.

    I pray to be present in all I do and not distracted and will say a prayer for you too.

    Blessings!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful post! I think we all feel like this at times and it's comforting to know that with the Lord's help, we can make our own waves! Thanks so much for sharing!

    God Bless You this year and always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely! My friend and I are constantly on the phone discussing how we want to be intentional. We want our children to know we are intentional. It's powerful, but can be hard. Thank you for your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Living intentional is an excellent goal to strive for. Very good! Not too long ago, the Lord really spoke to me on "being" more than "doing". Instead of doing for my kids, be with them. Instead of doing what mothers do, be a mother. In fact, this is something I am still working on. I don't want to focus so much on 'doing' that I miss the 'being'.
    Good word. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post!!! Very inspirational for me. I think we often just go about our day and not really think about the effect we can have on everyone around us and I am going to try and be more intentional. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete