Sunday, January 11, 2009

Motivate Me Monday {my love story}

Currently I’m memorizing Isaiah 61: 1-4 and my favorite part of it is as follows:

… to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, an oil of gladness instead of mourning and a garment of praise instead of despair.

It simply speaks beauty to me.

As little girls we dream of our wedding day. We dream of being the bride {not so much the wife, eh?}. The word bride implies purity, youth, newness, crispness, beauty, richness, happiness. Eagerness, excitement, aweness {it’s a word!}. Hours of hair and make-up to slip on a dress that probably took months to pick out. A dress that will be worn once. We spend months, sometimes years preparing for our groom.

Revelation 19:4-8 speaks about the gathering of believers and Christ at the marriage supper of the Lamb. Verse 7 states “The wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.” The thing that struck me most during my morning time this week was the word made, as in past tense. We can not make ourselves ready to meet Christ at the moment He arrives any more then a bride can be ready for her groom without prior knowledge of the wedding.

Why bother? Because He is in love with us. Seriously, have you read the Song of Songs? Its better then Jane Austin; an amazing romance story. Could this book have been written to help us relate to our union to Christ? A love story? He is completely taken with us. We are His beloved, His bride. “How beautiful are you my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes behind your veil are doves.” Songs 4:1a. Can you imagine if I saw myself through the eyes of my beloved? If rather then looking in a worldly mirror, I saw myself as Christ sees me?

How do we do prepare? We study Him, as we did our spouses. We mediate on Him and His words. We learn all we can about Him and intimately spend time with Him. We’re not making ourselves ready for the wedding, but for the Groom. We think about how wonderful He is and how we might adjust to better align ourselves with Him.

Call me a hopeless romantic, but I believe our lives with Him are meant to be one huge love story. I want to be prepared for my Groom, don’t you?

Love of my life, Look deep in my eyes; There you will find what you need
I’ am the giver of life, I'll clothe you in white; My immaculate bride you will be
Oh, come running home to me

Well, you've been a mistress, my wife; Chasing lovers that won't satisfy
Won't you let me make you my bride?
You will drink of my lips, And you'll taste new life

Cause you're my beloved
Lover I'm yours
Death shall not part us, It's you I died for
For better or worse, Forever we'll be
Our Love it unites us & it binds you to me

You're my beloved, Forever we'll be
Our love it unites us, And it binds you to me
(Tenth Avenue North, excerpts from “Beloved”. I’ve been quoting them a lot. AWESOME CD!)

**For more Motivate Me Mondays, visit Like A Warm Cup of Coffee

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post!!! Wow - what a wonderful way to put in words the love of our savior for us! I read the verses often, but the way you put it just gets me even more excited!

    Thank you for another GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a beautiful, beautiful post. Lately I've been realzing just how much God comes looking for me, seeking me, desiring me. The idea of a savior who loves me like that, it's amazing. I don't have to desperately seek him, he is there, waiting. I love this. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this beautiful post! This is such a wonderful view of how our Lord see us . . . not as we see ourselves, but as a groom awaiting his lovely bride.

    We are all so blessed and loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your whole post was beautifully poetic. This is a wonderful way to be focused on the eternal and not the carnal; not the things of this world. We truly do need to keep our eyes where they belong...on Jesus.

    ReplyDelete