Friday, February 13, 2009

Jackets and first kisses.





We were at a barnyard Halloween dance, up in some moutainy area. I think anyway. It was October 1996. I had met him the week prior, spending hours in front of coffee, talking the night away. He told me he would meet up with me again at the barn. The clock was closing in on 10pm and there was no sign of him. There was however, this other boy who was trying to get my attention. I finally caved and danced with the kid, whom we’ll call boy A. We talked, my friends grouped with boy A’s friends, when all of the sudden the DJ announced a song, dedicated to me. ME! From HIM! “I Can Love You Like That” … no idea who it was by, but I occasionally still hear the country version on the radio. HE approached our group, and asked for the dance, of course inquiring who the other boy was. I am pretty certain that night was the last time we ever saw boy A, however I still get teased about him. After the dance, we all headed to an ice rink for some midnight broom hockey. I sat on the sidelines and watched, with my girlfriends. Boy A asked me to hold his pager. HE later approached me and proclaimed the corniest line ever “You may HIS pager, but I’ll get your heart”. It worked, because my heart was his. Before we left that night he walked me over to show me the ice that the Mighty Ducks do their practice time on. In the middle of the ice, on a completely empty dimmed ice rink, he asked if he could kiss me. Then he wrapped me in his jacket, which smelt so wonderfully like him {and his cologne} – I’m sure I slept with that jacket for months. It hangs in our closet to this day, neither of us it wear it, but it remains, prompting memories of love and first kisses. Sometimes, when I am cleaning the closet I bring it to my face, trying to take in the smells of back when …


You can read more of our story here.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Much better, clearer photo coming soon!

5 comments:

  1. You are such a good writer! I love love love reading your posts!

    I used to sleep with my husbands (then boyfriend) shirts...mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this! Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! I love your playlist choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always said my favorite smell is my hubbys worn tshirts. Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a bit late in visiting via the SWAK carnival, but what a great post!

    ReplyDelete