Thursday, February 05, 2009

On believing.

Ephesians 1:19 "...and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength,..."

The verb tense of the Greek word believe here is called a present active participle which indicates that "believing God" is something to be done presently, actively, and continually. {this is a concept taught by Beth Moore in her in-depth bible study called, Believing God, of course!}. Our first choice to "believe" God was probably an act or experience that occurred once, but we're called to more. For us, it's a decision, a daily choice. It's a verb.

Why am I intrigued by findings of "don't be afraid" intermingled with the truth's of who He is? Because honestly, sometimes believing God, making that daily decision ... it can be scary. Especially when bad things have happened, things were taken away, and some time was spent waiting for the ground to stop quaking.

The following are a few of the verses I came across while sitting in my car waiting for an appointment. I won't list them, b/c I think there is value in taking the time to look them up, read the verses surrounding them, and maybe even doing some cross-verse research. I've paraphrased some points I circled in my own bible ...

Isaiah 43 {verse 5 and 10} - "Do not be afraid ... I am with you" "your my servant, whom I have chosen so that you may know me, believe me and understand that I AM HE. Before me no God was formed, nor will there be one after me"

Isaiah 41 {verse 10} - "Do not fear, I am with you. I am your God"

Isaiah 44 {verse 2, 6b, and 8} "he made you and formed you in the womb. Do not be afraid" "I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God" "Do not tremble, do not be afraid." "Is there any God besides me?"


There are many, many similar verses scattered everywhere, these are just a few chapters I've been concentrating on.

One thing that comforts me in time of doubt is the story of the dad in Mark 9:14-25 {read it ... I'll wait} ........ When it comes to my own doings I can be legalistic - very black and white. And I find such .... mercy, I guess, in the story in Mark. Freely I am able to confess my unbelief and ask God to increase my faith. Rather then drop kick the dad for not believing He accepted the confession, honored the request and saw the man's heart. The man's son was healed. I pray these verses often and rather then guilt, He gives me grace.

So, to summarize:
1. Believing is a continuous daily decision.
2. He wants us to know Him, and believe Him. And when he reminds us of that, he also reminds us to not be fearful.
3. Confess any unbelief. Ask for your faith to be increased. He will honor your request.

No comments:

Post a Comment