Thursday, April 23, 2009

Aren't you here to sell your onions?

I’ve so wanted to write. I’ve had ideas in my head, I have. I wanted to tell you about my beautiful garden that my husband planted for me, but now is looking a little weak b/c of some insane 100 degree weather. In April. At the beach. I thought about telling you how I boo-hoo cry a lot now: at the man who has cancer and struggled to put his arm around his wife at church last Sunday, or the song that came on the radio and reminded me of when Jason and I were first dating, or the homeless guy I handed Jason’s unopened can of soda to, or the worker at Disneyland who handed my boy a big blue teddy bear at one of the board walk games, even though said boy did not make any of the balls anywhere near the fake pitchers fake glove with the hole. I cried. I thought about telling you how my belly is unusually large for only being 3 months pregnant and I am tired of people asking me “are you sure there’s only one in there”. I should mention it’s probably b/c I actually have cravings this time around. I drove by the Greek church which made me want homemade pitas and fresh Tzatziki sauce which made me think of 2nd street and La Creperie and then I wanted crepes. Or maybe strawberries. Because those are always good in crepes. I could have told you about the picnic we had on our front lawn last week and how Jay killed the ladybug in his effort to pick it up. Or mentioned how amazing my mom is – she is currently cooking my family dinner 3 nights a week. I’ve wanted to mention the Compassion trip to India that’s coming up and how they’ve been on my heart.

But the days, they are flying by. And I, I am moving slowly. I can now see the light at the end of the morning sickness tunnel, I hope. But for now, I wake and work and play and sleep. Repeat.

So today, instead of trying to find something profound out of some silly experience, I wanted to leave you with this. The story hasn’t left my mind since I read it.

In a shady corner of the great market in Mexico City was an old Indian named Pota-lamo. Ha had twenty strings of onions hanging in front of him.

An American from Chicago came up and said:

“How much for a string of onions?”

“Ten cents,” said Pato-lamo.

“How much for two strings?”

“Twenty cents,” was the reply.

“How much for three strings?”

“Thirty cents, “was the answer.

“Not much reduction in that,” said the American. “Would you take twenty-five cents?”

“No,” said the Indian.

“How much for your whole twenty strings?” said the American.

“I would not sell you my twenty strings,” replied the Indian.

“Why not?” said the American. “Aren’t you here to sell your onions?”

“No,” replied the Indian. “I am here to live my life. I love this market place. I love the crowds and the red serapes. I love the sunlight and the waving palmettos. I love to have Pedro and Luis come by and say: “Buenas dias” … and talk about the babies and the crops. I love to see my friends. This is my life. For that I sit here all day and sell my twenty strings of onions. But if I sell all my onions to one customer, then is my day ended. I have lost my life that I love – that I will not do.”

The story speaks a lot about living life in such a way that values community over commerce, and seems a more Christian way of life than we are living ours.

Excerpt from Seeing What is Sacred, by Ken Gire


Oh, and I thought I should leave you with this as well:
Baby waved hello today.

4 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful person with such a loving strong heart. God has blessed you with a gift of love that no one else can ever imagine experiencing. I only wish the best ever for you and your wonderful family. I hope that the sickness dissipates and your tummy I am sure looks adorable. Next time someone says are you sure there is only one in there just say actually I'm having Triplets... See the reaction. Much love to you today. Stay Strong. God loves you. Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to look at our lives. Thank you for sharing that.

    I have given you a little Love Award, so stop on by.

    It sounds like you're tired, but feeling better, so that's good. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a truly beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us.

    You've been in my thoughts and prayers often lately. You've just been put on my heart, Traci. You, your family, and of course this amazing new life that has been gifted to you. I pray that you are doing well and have peace. I love that you shared your ultrasound. It absolutely made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:20 PM

    Thanks for the update. I was getting a teeny bit nervous when I didn't "hear"
    from you! Your posts are always so awesome.I always look forward to new posts from you, it's like unwrapping a present! Thanks for sharing so much of your life with us, your an inspiring woman of God. I will continue to keep you in prayer, and hope the puke is coming to an end. Melisa

    ReplyDelete