Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Babywise.

I read the book. From start to finish.

I can't do it.

I tried.

For about 15 minutes.

I've waited a very long time for this sweet girl.

And my family has sacrificed so I can be home with her. {and Jay}.

So if I want to stick with semi-demand parenting I think I am going to go forth with it guilt free.

I have a feeding schedule. It works.

But when she crys and screams. I will hold her.

I might not sleep a wink all year.

But I am thinking it will be worth it.

{in essance Jay had a big fat non-schedule for the first 2 1/2 years of his life, and he's adapted to bedtime routine well}.

That's me justifying.

So, no I didn't put her in her bassinet while she was still awake so she can learn to self soothe tonight.

I snuggled her with me. And blogged. And after he midnight feeding and our Genesis reading {Ella and I are reading through the bible in a year}, I will rock her to sleep, lay her in her bed, snuggle next to my hubs in my bed, and hope she sleeps till her usual 6 or 7am.

And if she doesn't, that's okay. These are the nights I longed for.

7 comments:

  1. You have to do what works for YOUR family. No justification necessary. I didn't read babywise. I thought about it, but never got around to it. We're making this up as we go. (From me, typing one-handed at 4:47 am)

    ReplyDelete
  2. James Dobson always said, "err on the side of too much love."

    I did Babywise. But a modified version. I simply attempted to not let them fall asleep WHILE they ate. After eating, I made sure we "played" a bit. Then we went for sleeping. It worked for me.

    However, I have some guilt as my little guy wasn't getting enough to eat and I left him crying more than I would have liked to.

    So do what works for you! You won't regret that. (Even if you are a little more tired!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have your priorities straight. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:59 PM

    I always went to mine when they cried, and they usually needed Mommy by their side to fall asleep the first 3 years of their lives but those are the times I cherish in my heart. Every baby is usually different, so what works for some will not for others. Follow your Mommy gut, I am sure your doing an amazing job Traci! Melisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. God puts in your heart what is best for your baby and I think you have found what works best for you and Ella.

    I can say someone tried pushing me on the Babywise train and I resisted and I am so glad I did. Ezekiel is a confident, yet attached child.

    Babies don't cry for no reason, it's their only form of communication. It may take a while for her to sleep through the night (EZ took 13 1/2 months), but someday you will look back on these less than 4 hours of sleep nights and be very thankful you had that time with her.

    You're doing great Traci! You're a true inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't need to justify your decision -- especially when rejecting a book that has no foundation is what is known about infant growth, development and breastfeeding.

    Enjoy your little one. . .

    Don't worry about what others think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah....I read that book and thought, "Yuck." I realized it was impossible to spoil my infant with hugs, kisses, etc. I did lay him down awake, but only after we cuddled and snuggled. I preferred the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block," by Dr. Harvey Karp. He has excellent tips for calming a cranky baby: swaddle, swing, suck, side, and Sssshhh. I followed that and I could calm Adam in seconds, cuddle him, and he would go right back to sleep in his own bed.

    ReplyDelete