Thursday, January 14, 2010

Meet my new co-workers.


A few weeks ago I quit my job. I QUIT MY JOB. That’s hard to type!

When it came down to it, I had no idea what I would say when I walked into my CEO’s office, I only knew how I {desperately} felt.

About a year and a half ago, we were preparing for me to be a SAHM, and then Jason got laid off. We felt so strongly that he should be in youth ministry – that it was what God wanted us to do – that we didn’t fret the layoff or the {lack of} money, but rather made the decision that I would continue working. God did provide last year – in amazing ways, and it’s wonderful to look back on, I tell ya!

And so I spent the majority of last year lying on my couch {good times!}, investing in Josiah and watching sweet Ella grow! I only worked Jan-May last year, but was on disability. My CEO was so supportive of my medical leave – I literally couldn’t have asked for more. My company allowed me to focus on me and Ella and our health, even covering some health insurance issues that they were not obligated to in any way. I am so grateful for my time there {9 years} and the opportunities and relationships that time allowed.

So, I sat down with my CEO and blubbered about my need to be with my kids. And he was amazing, and said things that further confirmed I was doing the right thing. I may be able to do some part time work with them, but we’ll have to see what future needs are for everyone.

Last year we sacrificed to place Jason in his ministry and this year we’re doing the same to place me in mine: My home. My kids. My husband.

Call me old-fashioned, but I feel my best fit is cleaning up poo, and making homemade healthy meals, and teaching the alphabet, and picking up my husband’s dirty clothes, and instilling the love of Jesus into the little hearts entrusted to me. I am so excited about my new job and I am very passionate about the work set before me.

How will we afford it? We really don’t know. We’ll sacrifice, we’ll budget better and tighter, we’ll use cloth diapers and homemade laundry soap. If it comes down to it, Jason is willing to get another part time job before he’ll allow me to work full time. We’ve already tasted how difficult it will be – we’ve had issues with the last few disability checks not being received; problems with insurance {they are saying they won’t pay for Ella’s most recent hospital stay along with a bunch of other stuff}; a desire filled for fast food when it shouldn’t have; deciding to stay in our {incredibly} small home rather than rent the adorable 3 bedroom down the street like planned … and it goes on.

I guess when it comes down to it, we’re learning. We’ll figure it out. And we believe He will provide. IF we’re faithful and not careless. We’re trusting. We’re excited.

I’ve been at my new job for a few weeks now. There’s play dough and school workand cherrios and chores {I’ve started doing FlyLady again}, and bike rides and shower scrubbing, and tears and yelling and lots and lots and lots of smiles. I think the pay is incredible!

------------------------------

My heart is so heavy for the people of Haiti tonight. While looking at Ella tonight I thought about the mothers who've had babies the same time I did. Did their babies survive, do they have shelter, water? We are so abundantly blessed here. Even if we think we have nothing. If you're looking for a way to assist, check this out:


2 comments:

  1. God will bless your faithfulness abundantly. You should read (in your spare time) Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney. It's about the 7 virtues of being a Godly wife and mother, using the Titus 2 woman as the example. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your HUGE decision! It's gonna be a long, hard, thankless, but BEST job you'll ever know! The rewards are priceless, as I'm sure you're well aware of. I'll pray for your finances....we've been there, done that, and are STILL doing that. He does provide!!

    ReplyDelete