Thursday, November 18, 2010

fatty comfort food! yum! ;)

I really do try to maintain a somewhat healthy meal plan in our home ... however, sometimes you just need to eat. good fatty, food!

Here is our favorite. I actually don't have a title for it, but in our home we call it Mexican Lasagna. It's easy, and more importantly - it's yummy!

1lb ground beef
2 bell peppers, chopped {I do one red, one green}
1 jar salsa.
1 can diced tomatoes, drained {14 1/2oz}
1 pkg frozen corn, thawed {the sweet corn from Traders is the best for this!}
flour tortillas
Cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 375. Brown meat w/ peppers in skillet, drawn. Stir in salsa, tomatoes, and corn. Bring to a boil.

Spoon 1 cup meat mixture into bottom of 13x9 baking dish. Top with Tortillas {how much you want is up to you, but fyi, the homemade Trader Joes tortillas work wonderfully for this and I add alot!}, overlapping as necessary. Spoon half of the remaining meat mixture over the tortillas, top with cheese. Top with more tortillas, and then remaining meat mixture. Cover with foil.

Bake for 25 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with more cheese {or throw a lot on like I do!}, bake for 5 more minutes.

Sometimes I add in layers of zucchini, or add flax seed or basically anything we have that sounds good!


Enjoy!

Now ... I am off to make my first attempt at rosette bows for Ella. ;)

1 comment:

  1. yummy. we had comfort food for dinner tonight too! homemade chicken strips and mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete