Wednesday, November 03, 2010

{memories} & I want to know your biggest first year mom struggle!

My mind is filled with thoughts of these days one year ago!

I can't believe it's been a year!!!

There are so many things that people tell you when you are about to have a baby ... I was trying to think back on them, and how they affected us.

1. "Sleep all you can now, because once that baby gets here you won't be sleeping at all". It seems like I heard this from someone daily. Was it true for me? Kind of. I slept, just not longer then 3 hours at a time. ;) This one didn't bother me though. I lost so much sleep worrying when I was pregnant that I would stay awake forever if it meant having Ella safely here. What's a little sleep when you get to look at your sweet baby's face everyday! Really, I was good with this one.

2. "Once the baby comes you'll never have adult conversations again". True. This one was the biggest for me, I think. I hate feeling left out, so when Jason went to a youth event and got to hang out while I was home, I was bummed. Because we choose exclusive breastfeeding and attachment parenting Ella was always with me {which is good}, but it meant there was not much {uninterrupted} adult time for me {which was bad}. Friends would go and do things and we'd have to pass. Lacking community has been my biggest struggle, but I realize it is a season; one I am grateful to be able to walk through. MOPS and MOMS groups are lifesavers! Jason teases me because I spend my days talking to Ella {for instance at JoAnne's the other day, I had a full "discussion" about what pattern of Thanksgiving fabric to buy - with Ella}.

3. "Your life is about to be turned upside down. A baby is going to rock your world" These comments usually came with a little snicker attached to them. Honestly, not true for us. But here's why, I think: we went from just us in our sweet, silent home to one day having a hyperactive, bouncing off the walls, special needs 2 year old. THAT rocked my world. Ella was more of a gradual, easy adjustment.

So, those are the comments I most remember hearing. It's crazy to stand on the other side of it all now. How can I be the mom of a one year old!?

What was the hardest part of the first year for you?

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm probably one that warned you to sleep ;) Our biggest issue the first year was probably sleep. I think the first few weeks she woke up every half hour or so. Around 2 months it improved a little for a few weeks, then got worse again. I think she was probably 7 or 8 months old before we started really getting some reasonable sleep. Now she's a girl after my own heart. She's not a morning person. she sleeps from about 9-9 now... sometimes a little later. With an occasional nighttime waking here or there. But we haven't had a nighttime feed in over a month.

    ReplyDelete