Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Blame it on the hormones.

Have you ever been in an incredibly bad mood and knew you were wrong, but you kept up with it anyway? We’re women; we should be allotted grace for our moodiness and emotional-ness {word!}, right? In all fairness you do warn your family that the hormones are raging, so they should just steer clear.


It doesn’t seem equal, really. How as women, we’re bombarded with PMS, periods, medications, whatever … and they change some little chemical in us and all of the sudden we’re feeling like an ocean storm is about to take down a small city – inside of our beautiful God crafted bodies. So if we have days where we are inconsolable or irrational or straight out rude, others should just take it in stride and deal, right? It’s not our fault. We can’t control ourselves. It’s the stinkin’ hormones! RIGHT?

Or is it? Right, I mean.

Turns out the Bible teaches that we don’t have to be controlled by our emotions {note to readers: do not rely this back to me while I am PMSing. Kidding. Sorta.} I am about to have a moment of period talk, so if you’re a man you might want to just click the back button and continue reading the sports recaps. Almost a good 6 months after Ella, my cycles returned and OH MY WORD. I was taken over by some awful, emotional woman. Things were different post pregnancy. I actually had a very bad situation occur that 1st period weekend that sadly I am still paying for. {Proof that there is no human grace for hormone related events}. ANYWAY, it has been interesting to me to seek out and see what God thinks about my excuses and how “symptoms” of anything cannot be “excuses” for sin.

So, how do I NOT be controlled by emotion? Well, 2 Corinthians 10:5b tells me to “take every thought captive to obey Christ.” We need to focus on Him and bring every thought and word obedient to Him. He can bring our emotions under control, thus allowing us to choose how we respond. That angry outburst at my husband? It’s not okay. Unkindness to my child? Not excused.

By nature, I am an emotional person. I bawl at any episode of Extreme Makeover any edition. God made me that way, and for sure, it can be used for His glory! It, however, cannot be used as my “excuses” for my attitudes, aggression, outbursts, etc. The Bible is clear about self-control. As women, our minds are always going, but we need to control those thoughts so they don’t control us. 2 Timothy 1:7,13-14 tells us that the faith and love of Jesus Christ can help us exercise self-control in our attitudes and behavior, even when our emotions feel out of control. Isn’t that refreshing?!

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

This post is linked up at GMG.


3 comments:

  1. Great insight as always Traci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Traci.. visiting from today's link up. I see so much of myself in this post. I am also emotional and tend to have 'meltdowns' every once in a while. Thanks for this inspiring post and great reminder that its not okay to blame hormones on ANYTHING I do.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:00 PM

    Thanks so much for writing this. For the past two weeks I have been going through lots of hormonal changes after having twin boys 4 months ago and it has been difficult. I am not usually an emotional rollercoaster so the irritability and depression has been overwhelming. I love the scripture to "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" so that my attitudes and behaviors can be pleasing to Christ even when I don't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete