Tuesday, May 15, 2012

His word


I am about 6 weeks into the process of memorizing the Sermonon the Mount {yes, the whole thing}. I am ashamed to admit how much I actually have done and how difficult it has been for me. Not the actual memorizing part, I seem to do that well. It’s the sitting down to do it. And the focus to keep my thoughts meditating on the Word of God rather than what’s for dinner or the mud on the bathroom sink from little hands who made mud pies in the backyard. Last night as I lay in bed, thinking about the Sermon, and thinking about my lack of commitment to it, it occurred to me that I needed to start reminding myself WHY I was doing it. Why memorize scripture?




The day after memorial day several years back I was in apre-op room, terrified out of my mind. Jason had been separated from me for paperwork purposes and I was waiting for him to return. A nurse came to me and spent 10 minutes trying to find Ella’s heartbeat on a Doppler. She gave the look; a look I was all too familiar with, and said “Well, let’s just wait and see what your doctor wants to do”. My doctor was in surgery and wouldn’t be out for an hour. The normal, fleshy me would want to cry, panic, call 5 people so I can talk about it and seek calmness, demand that some other nurse do something to tell me why they couldn’t find my babies heart beat, etc., etc. Rather, in that room that morning I talked about Isaiah with my husband. We meditated on it easily because we had recently hidden it in our hearts. We repeated it and it flowed so easily off our tongues.


When you pass through the waters,     I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers,    they will not sweep over you.When you walk through the fire,     you will not be burned;    the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God,     the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I give Egypt for your ransom,    Cush and Seba in your stead. {43:-4} 


We spent that hour in peace. Complete peace. My doctor came in, mumbled something about “hospital nurses”, told me that he’d SHOW me Ella’s heartbeat and that she was fine. He did and she was.

THAT is why God wants us to memorize scripture. For every little moment of life when we’re afraid or uncertain or paralyzed with unknowns … his Word is there. But we’ll only find refuge in it if we know it. If we have it in our hearts. 

1 comment:

  1. I just read this right now and wow did the Lord minister to my heart thank you for sharing this! I need to remember to draw from the well those scriptures He has given me. <3

    ReplyDelete