Saturday, June 16, 2012

For the kids who hates veggies.


My kids are completely different.

Ella would rather eat broccoli then a brownie.

Josiah will not let anything that looks, smells or feels like a veggie onto his plate. I've tried everything. He doesn't like yogurt, oatmeal, and pretty much most fruits.

Drew is half in half. He will eat a lot of things, but he doesn't enjoy most of it.

For Josiah's sake, I started reading, The Sneaky Chef. And my first meal was pizza. Josiah ate 5 of them.

Here is my modified recipe {original is in the book}:

Whole Wheat English muffins
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
1 can of tomato paste.
3 large carrots, peeled & chopped.
1yam, peeled & chopped.
Mozzarella cheese.

1. Boil the yam & carrots in water for 20 minutes. Then puree in a food processor. Add a little water, if needed.
2. Pulse the chickpeas in blender, till it is thick, but no longer bean-y. Basically looks like humus!
3. I mix together 1/4 cup of the chickpea mixture, 3 tablespoons of the carrot & yam mixture and a few spoonfuls of tomato paste {I just mix in enough until it looks like normal sauce}.
4. Top each half of an English muffin with "sauce" and Mozzarella cheese.
5. Stick in the broiler for 2 minutes, until cheese is done!

Not only do they look completely legit, they are rather tasty!

{You can freeze the extra puree's for up to 3 months, I do so in 1/4 cup increments - the chickpeas separate from the carrot/yam puree. Makes it even easier for next time}.

No comments:

Post a Comment